IEEE IAS/IES Chicago Joint Chapter Annual Saturday Seminar 2-8-2020
- Subject: IEEE IAS/IES Chicago Joint Chapter Annual Saturday Seminar 2-8-2020
OUs: R40011 (Chicago Section),R40005 (Central Illinois Section),R40007 (Central Indiana Section),R40029 (Rock River Valley Section),R40045 (Calumet Section),R40043 (West Michigan Section),R40021 (Milwaukee Section)
Membership Grades: Honorary, Associate Members, Members, Senior Members, Fellows, Life Members, Life Seniors, Life Fellow, Graduate Student Members, Student Members
Membership Status: Active
- Reply To: "Michael Morris" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Private: No
Please join us for the annual February Saturday Seminar arranged by the IEEE Industry Applications Society/Industrial Electronics Society (IAS/IES) Chicago Joint Chapter. This year’s seminar is a review of the 2020 National Electrical Code.
The seminar will be held Saturday 2/8/2020 from 7:30AM to 5:00PM at the Midwest Conference Center in Northlake, IL. The address for the center is:
401 W. Lake Street, Northlake, IL 60164
Seminar participants will each receive:
- A complimentary copy of the 2020 National Electrical Code Handbook
- 8 Professional Development Hour Credits
- Full Plated Lunch with Vegetarian Options and Continental Breakfast
- Snacks and beverages will also be available during breaks.
Please note that registration is accepted by mail only, and must be accompanied by check! The registration form is attached, and the form can also be downloaded on-line at this location: https://site.ieee.org/chicago-iasies/event/saturday-2020-02/
The presentation will be given by Mr. Dan Caddigan. Dan Caddigan is Senior Engineer for Meade Electric. He has a BSEE, MSEE and MBA from IIT. Dan is a registered Professional Engineer in Illinois. For over twenty five years, Dan taught electrical code courses for Index Publishing and has taught electrical code classes with the Electric Association for the last twenty two years. Dan was an Electrical Inspector in the City of Chicago for six years and Supervisor of Electrical Inspectors for one year.
The 2020 National Electrical Code (NEC) is the latest version of electrical code issued by the NFPA. This program has been developed to review the new content within the 2020 NEC and various differences from the previous 2017 NEC, in such a way so that the material learned can be applied immediately with increased proficiency, safety and efficiency. Specific areas within the 2020 NEC to be covered include:
- Revisions to service disconnect rules for arc flash hazard protection
- Reorganization of Article 310, including new user-friendly numbering for important ampacity tables, and new definition for cable bundle in Article 725
- New information for sizing conductors used with adjustable-speed drive systems
- Relocation of surge protection device requirements to new Article 242
- Updates to modernize tables currently in use for calculations to reflect improvements in energy efficiency and align with evolving codes
- New working space information for “housekeeping pads” for electrical equipment
- New worker safety guidelines in identifying the source of power for disconnecting means and for egress from spaces containing large electrical equipment
- New grounding requirements for disconnecting means installed on the supply-side of service disconnecting means
- New requirements for communication/data cables that carry power to devices
- Revisions to alternative energy systems and electric vehicle requirements to clarify the requirements of Article 690, and to clearly distinguish energy storage systems from storage battery systems
- Introduction of guidelines for the safe use of electric vehicles as a backup or emergency power source for a building or a home I look forward to seeing you at the seminar. Please act quickly, since registration will be limited.
Please contact me if you have any questions.
Michael Morris, P.E. (email@example.com)
Electrical Engineer, Greeley and Hansen
100 S. Wacker Drive, Suite 1400
Chicago, IL 60606